The first day of spring is right around the corner and on Sunday (March 12th), it is time again to change the clocks ahead one hour. Although we are losing an hour of sleep, we will also be gaining an extra hour of daylight! While you adjust your clocks for Daylight Saving Time this coming weekend, it may be a good time to swap out those smoke and carbon monoxide alarm batteries for new ones.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, almost two-thirds of home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms. Smoke spreads rapidly so properly working smoke detectors can give you time to get to safety when there is a fire in your building or home.
Here are a few NFPA alarm safety tips:
- Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement. Interconnect all smoke alarms throughout the home. When one sounds, they all sound.
- Install carbon monoxide alarms on every level of the house, preferably near sleeping areas.
- Smoke rises; install smoke alarms following manufacturer’s instructions high on a wall or on a ceiling. Save manufacturer’s instructions for testing and maintenance.
- Smoke alarms that include a recordable voice announcement in addition to the usual alarm sound, may be helpful in waking children through the use of a familiar voice.
- Smoke alarms are available for people who are deaf or hard of hearing. These devices use strobe lights. Vibration devices can be added to these alarms
- Smoke alarms are an important part of a home fire escape plan.
- Test alarms at least monthly by pushing the test button.
It just takes a minute or two, but it is a very important to make sure these alarms are working as they are designed to. This small task could save your life and the lives of loved ones.
Check out the great Insurance Programs for Condominium Insurance, Cooperative Insurance, Apartment Insurance and Property Manager’s Insurance that New Empire Group, Ltd. offers! And keep up to date with what’s going on at New Empire Group, LTD. by visiting our social media sites – Facebook, LinkedIn & Twitter!